Saturday, March 20, 2010

Baby Product Reviews*

When you become a new mom you quickly learn which baby products are worth your money and which are not. Here's a list of things I have found useful and ones that are a waste of money:

Burp cloths
Total waste of money. Yes they are cute and seem like a good idea, but the fact is they are way too small. A dish towel or cloth diaper is much more effective and cheaper!

Dr. Brown's Bottles
Love these bottles! My baby is rather gassy and these really help.

Breast Flow Bottles

Great idea especially for the breastfeeding moms. The bottles have a special nipple insert that simulates let down. However, my baby wasted more milk than she drank with these bottles. I think when she gets bigger, these may work. The nipples just seems way to big for her and more milk ended up running out of her mouth than ended up in her mouth.

miPump
I have a mixed review for this breast pump. Overall I like it.

Pros include:
Good value for the money
Small but fairly powerful-8 suction levels
Separate base for use with batteries
Comfortable breast shields
Cute carrying case

Cons include:
No replacement parts are available
Some of the parts can not be sterilized with steam
Handle which allows one handed pumping does not work on large breasts

Sterilizer Bags

These are great. Just pop cleaned bottles and parts into the bag, add water and microwave for 90 seconds.

Drying Rack

There are many bottle drying racks on the market, but I like this one because it is collapsible, making it easy to wash in the dishwasher.

Swaddler
Keeping a baby swaddled in a blanket can be hard if you have a squirmy baby like mine. The Swaddler works great. They come in cotton knit, flannel and fleece.

Car Seat Chime
I have 2 of these hanging from the handle of the car seat. My baby loves looking at them and trying to hit them.

Carter's Layette set
I have 2 of these sets and LOVE them. My baby is rather thin and long. She isn't chubby enough to fit in 0-3 sizes, but she's too long to fit in newborn bodysuits with feet. Since these don't have feet, I'm getting tons more use out of them. As a bonus, they can be made into a gown by changing how you snap the legs up.

*Token FCC disclaimer: I was not provided with any incentive, monetary or otherwise, to make this post or endorse any of these products.

1 comment:

Christina RN LMT said...

Wow, and I thought we had a lot of stuff available to us when my babies were born! For me, the biggest-hyped product was the Diaper Genie, which I found smelly and ineffective. Are those still around?