Sunday, September 23, 2007

How my family found out how I met Unix-Jedi

To say that my family is conservative and religious would be an understatement. On my mother's side of the family we have 3 church treasurers, 1 church pianist and 1 church building manager. My parents don't just go to church every time the doors open, they have a key! My mom kept telling me that if I'd just go to church I would meet a nice young man.

Needless to say, I wasn't comfortable telling my parents or family how I met U-J. The internet was just too radical! So, when the subject of how we met came up, I'd either change the subject or stretch the truth and say we met through a mutual friend.

Now, U-J's parents knew how we met. As a matter of fact, his mother promised to pay for his membership in eHarmony. I was never really concerned that our parents would discuss how we met.

But I should have been.

<in Sophia Petrillo's voice>
Picture it, wedding rehearsal dinner, 2006. Family and friends are seated in the back room of a very nice restaurant. Wine is flowing, good food is being consumed, toasts are being given. And then it happens. U-J's mother arises from her seat, lifts up a glass in one hand and an envelope in the other. The envelope contains a check to pay for U-J membership to eHarmony and her toast contains the story of how we met.

All I have to say is, she better leave me something good in her will to make up for the teasing I endured that night and the next day from my family.


No comments: